July 1-29, 2018*
Half Session: July 1-15, 2018
Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Indiana
*Going to the ELCA Youth Gathering? So are we! Travel with our staff from the Gathering to LSM July 1. Stay tuned for specific travel details.
We offer residential training and performance opportunities in:
BAND CHOIR ORCHESTRA | COMPOSITION ORGAN PIANO
Lutheran Summer Music (LSM) is a residential performance and training program for young musicians grades 8-12. As an itinerate academy, we are hosted on different Lutheran college and university campuses each summer. Join the 25+ faculty artists and team of dedicated counselors in our supportive, academic community.
Musical excellence is achieved through rigorous study and expressed in recitals and concerts during Festival Week. At LSM, students build their musical skills and realize their God-given talents to the fullest extent possible.
At LSM, all students participate in:
- Private Lessons
- Large Ensemble
- Small Ensemble
- Musicianship Class
- Concerts and Recitals
Customize the LSM experience! A variety of electives encourage students to build new musical skills and dive into their unique musical interests.
- Chapel Choir. This non-auditioned choir rehearses daily and provides music for worship throughout LSM.
- Church Music. Lutheran hymnody, liturgical history, and worship planning are explored.
- Composition. Discover your creative voice with the instruction of a professional composer, and premiere your original piece in collaboration with your fellow students.
- Conducting. Learn basic conducting patterns and methods for conducting both instrumental and choral ensembles.
- Handbells*. Learn the elements and techniques of playing in a handbell choir. The handbell choir regularly serves in worship, the Hymn Festival, and select concerts.
- Intro to the Pipe Organ. Learn how the pipe organ works and experience playing this majestic instrument (basic keyboard skills required).
- Jazz Ensemble*. Jazz theory, techniques, and history come together in this lively performing ensemble.
- Musical Theatre*. Hands-on experience in Broadway-style of singing and performance.
- Secondary Lessons*. If a student plays a second instrument or sings, secondary lessons are offered once per week. Strongly suggested for all students wanting a second large ensemble placement.
*Onsite audition required
Instrumental students who have been accepted for admission into the Academy are invited to audition for the opportunity to perform with the orchestra during its final concert. For more information about the audition process or to submit the Concerto Application Form, click here.
At LSM, students find a supportive community is grounded in an environment that values cooperation over competition, creating a place where all students can thrive and feel valued for their unique gifts and talents. In addition to musical ensembles, students are part of small groups led by a counselors who reside in the dormitory with them. Counselors support students and plan fun activities that offer balance in the midst of a busy musical schedule.
Worship is central to daily life at LSM. Our chaplain provides spiritual leadership and creates a supportive community where faith - regardless of religious background - can be explored and the Lutheran church's tradition of musical excellence is celebrated.
Worship is central to daily life at LSM. Our chaplain provides spiritual leadership and creates a supportive community where faith - regardless of religious background - can be explored and the Lutheran church's tradition of musical excellence is celebrated. Students are afforded opportunities to lead in many and various ways during worship at LSM. The three primary worship events at LSM are:
- Morning Prayer: A typical Morning Prayer service involves a hymn, a reading, a short message and singing Carl Schalk's Luther’s Morning Prayer as a community.
- Evening Prayer: This half-hour service opens with Abendmusik (German for “Evening Music”), involves a sung liturgy, a reading, and a musical offering, usually given by the Chapel Choir, the Handbell Choir, or another faction of our community.
- Sunday Eucharist: The service begins with Morgenmusik (Morning Music), and follows the pattern of traditional Lutheran worship. Each summer, a full Bach Cantata is performed in the context of worship by students and faculty together.